- A boy on joining wants to begin Scouting right away.
- A fisherman does not bait his hook with food he likes. He uses food the fish likes. So with boys.
- Scouting is a man’s job cut down to a boy’s size.
- Scouting is a game for boys under the leadership of boys under the direction of a man.
The Bharat Scouts and Guides in Meghalaya started at the first meeting held on 19-8-1972 under the Chairmanship of the then Education Minister Shri D.D. Pugh, when the state became full-fledged, along with some enthusiastic who stress the importance of starting the Movement in our state. The office started in November, 1972 in the office chamber of the then Inspector of Schools at Mawkhar, Shillong. Since then, the Association has been functioning very well under the Education Department. It has made tremendous progress in quality as well as in quantity.
They were the first:
- STATE CHIEF COMMR.:- Shri N.K. Rustomji, ICS-Chief Secretary
- STATE COMMR. (Scouts):- Md. Narul Islam, DPI
- STATE COMMR. (Guides):- Smt. J. Adhikari,
- STATE SECRETARY:- Shri L.K. Sailo -Scout Master
The National Association is a registered society under Act XXI of 1860. The state Association is affiliated to the National Association. It is either sponsored by the Youth & Sports or Education Departments of the State Government. The management of the affairs of the Bharat Scouts and Guides is entrusted to the State Council and State Executive Committee constituted in accordance to the Rules and Regulations of the Association.Building and Land:
We inherited the State Headquarters Building from Assam, at Pine Mount-Ridge, Shillong, land measuring about 29, 000 sq. ft. with a building of 5 rooms, now expanding to 7 rooms, with a big kitchen and Choukidar's quarter. A multi-storeyed building is being constructed to house the new State Headquarters.
The State Training Centre at Umtyngar about 22 kms from Shillong on Cherrapunjee Road about 3 acres of land. The Centre has one very old hall, a store-room, a kitchen and Choukidar's quarters. The Centre can accommodate about 800 boys and girls at a time in tents.
MAHATMA GANDHI: “I pray that every home in India may have children trained like Scouts."
RAJENDRA PRASAD: -First President of India: - “It has always given me pleasure to see Scouts work for relief. I have found their work to be of a high order, inspired by the spirit of service and done with efficiency. I have no doubt that there is a great future for this Movement."
Pearls of Wisdom
- Youth Programme
- Adult Resources
- Communication & Public Relations
- Bharat Scouts and Guides
- Scouting in the Asia-Pacific Region
- World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts
- World Organisation of Scouts Movement
- Kandersteg International Scout Centre