- A boy on joining wants to begin Scouting right away.
- A fisherman does not bait his hook with food he likes. He uses food the fish likes. So with boys.
- Scouting is a man’s job cut down to a boy’s size.
- Scouting is a game for boys under the leadership of boys under the direction of a man.
The Bharat Scouts & Guides is a voluntary, non-political, educational movement for young people, open to all without distinction of origin, race or creed, in accordance with the purpose, principles and method conceived by the Founder Lord Baden Powell in 1907.
The purpose of the Movement is to contribute to the development of young people in achieving their full physical, intellectual, social and spiritual as individuals, as responsible citizens and as members of the local, national and international communities.
The Scout/Guide Movement is based on the following principles:
- Duty to God: Adherence to spiritual principles, loyalty to the religion that expresses them and acceptance of the duties resulting there from.
- Duty to others:
a) Loyalty to one's country in harmony with the promotion of local, national and international peace, understanding, cooperation.
b) Participation in the development of society with recognition and respect for the dignity of one's fellowmen and for the integrity of the natural world.
- Duty to self: Responsibility for the development of oneself.
The Scout/Guide Method is a system of progressive self education through:
- A Promise & Law.
- Learning by doing.
- Membership of small groups under adult leadership Patrol System).
- Progressive and stimulating programmes of various activities based on interest of the participants.
The Promise for the Scout/Guide is: " On my honour, I promise that I will do my best to do my duty to God* and my country, to help other people and to obey the Scout/Guide Law"
* The word "Dharma" may be substituted for the word "God" if so desired.
The Law for the Scout/Guide:
- A Scout/Guide is trustworthy.
- A Scout/Guide is loyal.
- A Scout/Guide is a friend to all and a brother/sister to every other Scout/Guide.
- A Scout/Guide is courteous.
- A Scout/Guide is a friend to animals and loves nature.
- A Scout/Guide is disciplined and helps protect public property.
- A Scout/Guide is courageous.
- A Scout/Guide is thrifty.
- A Scout/Guide is pure in though, word and deed.
Pearls of Wisdom
- Youth Programme
- Adult Resources
- Communication & Public Relations